Monday, April 2, 2007

How can I help YOU?

After I set up my blog, I went to link it to my website and found a host of bugs in my site on my computer. I fought the urge to freak out, I took a few deep breaths and pondered my next move. Not being the savviest of techies, I waited to proceed until checking with my more technically sophisticated friends who came and helped me out. Luckily it was just a matter of a moved file and a couple of broken links. Whew! So, long story short, I am linked and ready!

I thought I would take a minute to talk about a question I hear from prospective and new clients all the time. "What can massage therapy do for me, and how can it help me?" Not to sound cliche, but an easier way to phrase the question would be to say, "How can't it help me?"

Of course, there are conditions and situations where massage, bodywork and other manual therapies are not a good idea, but usually they are very precise situations and a discussion with your medical provider and massage therapist can help you understand if you have any of these contraindications.

That being said, I thought I would take a couple minutes and go through a list of things my clients have presented me with over the last several weeks as a way of illustrating how what I do can be of service to you.

In the last month people have come to me for help with:
Headache (sinus and migraine-- the migraine sufferer with doctor clearance)
Pulled hamstrings
Strained rotator cuff
Postural imbalances
Stress
Injured/pulled forearm and hand (photographer who carried a heavy equip bag too far)
Recovery from a cycling accident
Pulled quadriceps
Relaxation
Triathlon training
Back injuries (minor strains and more serious-- with doctor clearance where necessary)
Frozen shoulder
Sprained ankle
Roller Derby injury (rough sport, you know)
Pregnancy massage
Infant massage
Chair Massage for a SXSW party
Muscular rehab for stroke recovery
Parasympathetic Nervous System Issues (i.e. overtaxed fight or flight response)

Those are just off the top of my head without looking through my session notes, however it gives a snapshot of how many different ways massage therapy works to help people feel better, live happier and recover faster from life's aches, pains, accidents, and "isms."

I will continue to use this blog as a place to talk about things that come up in my practice that I think may be helpful if I share with a wider audience. As always, you can find me online at www.NatalieDurkin.com if you would like more information or would like to contact me.

That's all for now... enjoy the start of Spring, remember to breathe, and stay hydrated!

Cheers,

ND, lmt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very valuable message